The weather is finally turning, and we’re excited about the Rhode Island Red Food Tours that are on the docket this year!
The three-hour walking tour supports the locally operated eateries and the community, promotes the tasting of fresh local foods, and provides a unique opportunity to explore the evolving culinary landscape of Rhode Island while gaining insight into the architectural and cultural components of Rhode Island’s history.
Here’s how it works:
- Savor 8 tastings, bites & sips in one of America’s Top Food Cities with a professional guide.
- Support locally owned restaurants, bakeries and purveyors that add flavor to the local food scene while we tip you off to their most popular dishes and drinks.
- Explore the early architecture while listening to fascinating stories about the history of our capital city.
- See the art and culture of the Creative Capital while we walk you through the Downcity Arts District.
- Guide & Map your way through a Downcity Providence Food Tour. The information sheet will offer recommendations and tasting location info, with a map so you can know where and how to get back to them later.
Who’s included on the tour?
- Ellie’s Bakery A Parisian inspired bakery filled with goodness and prepared with responsibly sourced local ingredients. A wholesome, soulful experienced down to the smallest of details.
- Rogue Island Local Kitchen & Bar An “approachable farm to table” casual eatery focused on RI’s local food system that includes a wide selection of craft beers & spirits.
- Tom’s Bao Bao Brand new to the United States, this fresh artisanally crafted Chinese street food is from a 1200 yr. tradition in China using historical recipes adapted to the US market.
- North Bakery A non-traditional American bakery rooted in community agriculture for the freshest and highest quality ingredients. The experimental combinations of savory and sweet are what make this neighborhood gem worth seeking out.
- New Harvest Coffee & Spirits A locally roasted Coffee Cocktail Café/Bar of sorts, offering a full selection of single origin and New Harvest blended coffees, as well as a rotating cast of whiskies locally sourced and from around the world.
- Providence Coal Fired Pizza RI’s first and only Coal Fired Pizza made from scratch using local ingredients. A frequent visitor on all the top Pizza lists in the United States.
- Gracie’s A seasonally inspired fine dining establishment focused on fresh local ingredients, some grown on their own rooftop. A Prestigious, AAA 4 Diamond Award Winner five years straight.
The tour lasts from 3-3.5 Hours, and covers about 1.2 miles. Tours start at Noon on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays. The season begins on April 21st!
FOOD SUBSTITUTIONS: Please note that the Downcity Food Tour is NOT always able to accommodate gluten free or some shellfish and seafood dietary restrictions, although where possible we do our best. However, we do offer vegetarian options or substitutions with advance notice.
NO ALCOHOL: $69/ a head
ALCOHOL INCLUDED: $84/ a head
One-of-a-Kind Food Tastings – This narrated, guided Food Tour visits at least six food tasting locations in the Downcity Arts District neighborhood. Delicious food tastings are served from both casual eateries serving up approachable, local farm-to-table comfort food to award winning fine dining plating fresh creative dishes. A few stops include the tasting and “art of bao making” and a Parisian-inspired café where guests partake in the pleasures of seasonal, wholesome goodness, a Coal Fired made from scratch gourmet favorite, and a non-traditional, experimental bakery stand serving up inventive sweet and savory snacks.
Historic & Cultural Experience – Between bites and samplings, you’ll get an insider’s view of Downcity’s modern day culinary landscape, where food, art and architecture collide in a very walkable, scenic, diverse small city. RI RED expert guides share their knowledge of epicurean favorites, hidden murals and art, architectural gems, hidden speakeasies and local festivals and entertainment to be found in the Creative Capital.
Who Should Take the Downcity Providence Tour?
Locals and Visitors
Visitors will want to explore one of the more nationally recognized and growing food scenes in the country, while learning about what Rhode Islander’s already know and love about the Creative Capital. Our knowledgeable guides will walk you through a diverse and tasty food journey as we share some history of the rich architectural gems of the city and it’s arts culture.
Locals will want to learn the backgrounds of their favorite restaurants, specialty dishes and discover new exciting places they have yet to try. It’s also fun to share with family and friends the colorful history and culture of the city.
All guests will discover new eateries they will want to return to while visiting the city, we will even tip you off to little known eateries, happenings, places to stay, etc., not found on our tours. Dish & Dine with us to experience this unique adventure in a lively culinary and cultural community – truly an enjoyable afternoon for all!